Ran a search or two this morning, and discovered to my dismay that my computer was in danger from the entire internet; every result I saw in every search I tried contained this ominous warning about how the site "may damage [my] computer":
Still more to go on my home NAS series, but I thought I'd take a moment to point out a recently-published article that benchmarks the performance of the MSI Wind box against several other DIY and off-the-shelf NAS units. The author ends with the conclusion that DIY NAS boxes based on Intel Atom chipsets (and also the VIA C7) typically get twice the throughput of their store-bought counterparts.
I know I said my next post was going to be about NFS setup, but I thought it might be useful instead to take a momentary break for listing off the final hardware manifest. My previous posts have been a little unclear on this subject, so to avoid confusion, here's a list of everything I bought that's currently part of the machine, along with links to NewEgg product pages:
Now that my home NAS has its hard drives installed, it's time to set up the RAID-1 array. As it turns out, this is pretty simple work. First, create a single Linux RAID Autodetect partition on each disk, taking up its entire usable space. You can do this by running
fdisk /dev/sda; fdisk is pretty powerful, so just in case you've never done this before, I'll walk you through the steps.
As I mentioned at the end of my RAID setup post, I want the storage space on my home NAS divided up into several fixed-size filesystems, each associated with a different purpose. Now, one approach here would have been to divide the physical disks up into several partitions and create several separate RAID arrays on top of those...but that seems a bit like overkill, and certainly isn't very flexible if I later increase the size of the array.
Well, it's been a couple of months since my last post, and I've gotten quite a bit more work done on my home NAS project. When I last posted, I had finished installing the basic hardware and operating system, but hadn't quite settled on the right set of hard drives. But all that's changed; in fact, the ol' Wind PC has been up and running pretty solid for the last month or two, and I'm happy to report that the project is a success.